Thursday, August 09, 2007

What Makes People Quit Church?

I was reading in the USA Today and there was an article on what young adults thought about church. Their survey stated that seven out of ten young people ages 18 to 30 have quit going to church by age 23 even though they had attended regularly as teenagers. I don't know how accurate the survey is even though I was one of those who quit in my 20's but came back to church by age 30. Why did I quit? I had no good reason other than I just didn't feel I needed to attend church. I thought I was saved and that was all I needed to do. But looking back on it, I had said the words, but my heart wasn't right and I wasn't saved. How do I know? In 1984 I gave my life to Jesus, and now I know I am saved.

I think the reason young people quit is that their parents have forced them to go to church when they didn't want to, and when they grew up and could make the choice, they chose to quit. It's sad, but I think it's the reason. Here are some of the reasons young adults gave to USA Today.

Why we left.
1-Wanted a break from church.
2-Found church members judgmental or hypocritical.
3-Moved to college.
4-Tied up with work.
5-Moved to far away from home church.
6-Too busy.
7-Felt disconnected from people at church.
8-Disagreed with church's stance on political/social issues.
9-Spent more time with friends outside of church.
10-Went only to please others.

For those who have continued to attend church, these are the reasons why they continued.
1-It's vital to my relationship with God.
2-It helps guide my decisions in everyday life.
3-It helps me become a better person.
4-I am following a family member's example.
5-Church activities were a big part of my life.
6-It helps in getting through a difficult time.
7-I fear living without spiritual guidance.

For those who have quit, we need to pray for them, that they will return before it is too late. If a person doesn't want to be around other believers now, will they want to spend eternity with the same believers? Only God knows the heart of everyone, whether it is harden or not. If you are not attending church, are you then reading your Bible at home? If you are not reading at home, how are you going to grow in your spiritual life? How will you know what God expects from you, and what his will is for you?

If you are truly born again, Jesus tells us that we must abide in Him. If we chose not to abide in Him, we can do nothing on our own.
Matthew; 15:4-5
(Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.)
God has given some as pastors to teach us so that we can do the work of God. If you chose not to attend and learn, how will you know what to say when the time comes?
Ephesians; 4:11-12
(And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;)

Put God first in your life, not your friends. Jesus is the one who has eternal life, not your friends. You will want to spend eternity with Jesus, not with any unsaved friends. The unsaved are going to end up in the lake of fire. That will be their destiny, separated from God.
Revelation; 20:15
(And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.)

Going to church doesn't save you, but giving your life to Jesus Christ does save you. If you don't have any desire for God, do a salvation check in your life. Check to see whether you are truly born again.

God Bless You!

No comments: