Saturday, February 17, 2007

Where Can We Find Happiness?

Searching for happiness! It seems like we all are looking for the one thing or person who is going to fill that void in our lives. This morning as I was watching the news, I saw where one of our so called celebrities shaved her head and was getting tattoo's on the back of her neck. I don't know the reason for this and I'm not trying to read her mind, but it does make me wonder why. I think it is because they haven't found what they are looking for in life. They have a lot of money and they still are not satisfied. "Just one more thing and I'll be happy" syndrome.

We are told in the Bible to stay focused on what is above, not on earthly matters. I realize that we still have to live here and there are matters that must be attended too, but we need to stay focused on God. Staying focused on Jesus our Lord and also Heaven, will keep us in line with His will for our life and not our will.
Colossians; 3:1-4
(If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.)

I have bought some things that I thought would make me happy only to find out that it did just the opposite. Material things are of no value even though we still have to have them. What really counts is our eternal life and what we can do to help others find Jesus. We don't want them to die without Jesus and end up in Hell for eternity. We are to live our lives as a light in a dark place. How will people learn about Jesus if we don't show them what he has done for us?
Ephesians; 5:8
(For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light)

How we live our life and what we do with our money tells others a lot about us and what is important to us. If we spend money like there's no tomorrow, what does that tell others about us? Especially when there are so many people who have nothing. When we have too much, then we start to be focused on our things, rather than God. In the book of Proverbs, this is addressed.
Proverbs; 30:8-9
(Remove falsehood and lies far from me; Give me neither poverty nor riches- Feed me with the food allotted to me; Lest I be full and deny You, And say, "Who is the lord?" Or lest I be poor and steal, And profane the name of my God.)

We are to be happy in the place that God has put us. We are to work and not be lazy so that we can help others who have need. One thing that all of us are in need of is a Savior. You may not have extra money, but you can give them the knowledge about Jesus and what he can do for them. What more could a person want than to have eternal life in Heaven with God. The certainty of eternal life is the best news that we can give to people. We can help with their material needs, but we can also help with their spiritual needs by directing them to Jesus.

We need to pray for those who are searching for happiness that someone will be able tell them about Jesus our Lord and Savior.

God Bless You!

No comments: